Skin Chooser

Wednesday, January 25, 2006  ::  Where I've been

:: Home

Where I've been

5.7mm :: f 7.0 :: 1/800s :: Auto :: ISO 200 :: Fuji Finepix S5000

This is not a great pic. Its not even a good pic. Frankly, its not bloggable at all. But this pic is still here to show why I've not been posting all this while. I was on vacation.

And while on vacation, though I'd have loved to, I did not go on this picture shooting spree. I did not capture my hometown or state through a fresh set of eyes. I did not look at India with a new perspective. I did not capture poignant or telling scenes on the city's roads. Nor did I venture into the villages to capture the true essence of India. I did not come back with a hard disk full of breathtaking color. I would have loved to do all this, like a zillion other photographers. I really did want to do all this. But there were other things on my mind.

And I am sure I would have a learnt a great deal. Not just technical stuff, but a lot about trying to shoot with a meaning. Sifting through the dozens of photos trying to pick ones that convey the right message would have been an exercise in discretion. I would have been on a journey of self-discovery. I would have realized if I saw the glass half-full or half-empty. And then I would have some pics that I would have posted for their sheer force through color and composition. Its a pity I missed out on all these.

But there were other things on my mind. Things that blinkered my mind. Things that veiled my eyes. I saw not breath-taking color, but mundane, dusty everyday. Nor did I have the time to sling the camera on my shoulder and set off to take some pics. Not this time. But perhaps my next trip back home, which will be god-knows-when.

RamV :: Some Rights Reserved :: Permalink :: Blog This

5 others said ...

Blogger DigitalEye said...

Machi,

I don't know why you don't like this picture, but I love it, neat composition and almost perfect angles.

Btw, why are you sounding so low ??

Murali.

Fri Feb 03, 07:08:00 AM PST 
Blogger RamV said...

hmmm... nice to see you like it. I didnt, cos i thought it was too staid da. It did not say anything, nor did it have anything really novel about it. But I guess, like you said, it is a straightforward, decently done pic.

And no, I did not intend to sound low. If I came across as feeling low in the post, I dont see it. Thanks for asking da. And its been ages since we met or spoke.

Tue Feb 14, 05:24:00 PM PST 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never can an imposing edifice such as a freshly painted temple's gopuram not look good. I hope the double negatives were in place to convey the meaning :). I can picture this to be representative of how omnipresent and omnipotent God is. A gopuram, set in the expanse of a beautiful-blue-sky, conveys more than I can possibly ever express in words.

The other advantage of posting simple pictures is, it makes you realise how well you can market and sell something which you yourself are not very happy with :)

Mon Feb 20, 06:28:00 PM PST 
Blogger RamV said...

Anon... Let me first thank you for your comment. I really value the sincerity and feeling in your words.

I have nothing against simple pictures, or simple themes. In the words accompanying the pic, I was trying to say that my execution of the pic could have been better. They were not intended to reflect, in any way, on the mundane-ness or unremarkble-ness of the subject. In fact, though I dont share your fascination for the painted ones, I do feel an indescribable mixture of awe, pride and humbling insignificance in the presence of a towering gopuram. Especially the unpainted ones. The ones that seem to call out from a hundred feet and hundreds of years from you.

Mon Feb 20, 08:07:00 PM PST 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I did not mean to say you were not at awe looking at the gopuram, or the likes. I was just expressing my opinion on how nice the picture is. Also, I concur on the point that unpainted-historic temples look better, far better. But newer ones, the way they are built, probably might look better painted than unpainted -- that way you at least conceal the modernity of the construction and try to make the temple exude an illusive-historic-architecture.

I am the same Anon who posted on the Atlanta-just-another-building pic. I will keep coming back -- :)

Tue Feb 21, 10:06:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment


<< Blog Home

Cameras

  • Fujifilm Finepix S5000
  • Nikon N65 SLR
  • Nokia 6620

Past Pixels

Credits

Search Me!

Powered by Google

Search
my weblog
my photoblog
the web